I have not posted anything in a long time. We were gone most of the month of June on various trips. But before I catch up on some of those things, I wanted to pay tribute to little Lucky Harmer. He left us back in May but deserves a post on my blog. Lucky fell out of our tree in a windstorm (well his egg did). There wasn't enough of Lucky's nest left to put him back up in the tree, so we adopted him as our own. We put him in a fish tank with a nest of palm tree bark and put a light on him. Hailee kept him in her bathroom and checked on him religiously. I had almost forgotten about our egg when Paul announced one night that the egg had hatched. Of course, our kids were supposed to be in bed, but who can sleep when your egg just hatched. The kids named the bird Lucky because that was what he was. He survived a windstorm, a serious fall, a lot of handling, our makeshift nest set-up and had hatched. We got on the internet to find some bird facts and did our best to feed him. The internet suggested scrambled eggs (which somehow just seems wrong) but we tried that and some water in a medicine dropper. It seemed to calm Lucky down to have some food in his stomach, and after a couple of hours we left him to sleep. Lucky died a few hours later. It was really sad for our kids, especially Hailee. She cried at the backyard funeral Paul set up. Here are a few pictures of Lucky Harmer.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Ohhh, Lucky was a cute little bird. I'm sure he felt very happy and loved for the short time he was alive. Good job taking care of him, Hailee.
We all think your little Lucky was so cute and very lucky to have you to help him. We also have a pet named Lucky, a rat who we felt was lucky not to be bought by a snake owner for food. Claire says Hi to Haley!
Oh, that is so sad. I think I may cry with you Hailee. I feel a little like your baby has died.
Post a Comment